Activity: Journey sticks
This is an activity for you to lead outdoors, and later back in the classroom.
Key stage 2 - England and Wales
This activity can also be enjoyed by older children and adults too!
This activity is for you to take, using the resources below.
- To decorate a stick to help remember a favourite walk or journey in a National Park
- Children can either collect materials and decorate their 'memory stick' during a walk or do this in the classroom
- To use natural, sustainable materials
- To discuss the use of maps to show routes - and how the journey stick can act instead of a map
- To practise communication skills
What you will need:
Activity guide - download here
Safety guide - download here
For classroom activity:
For more information on this activity:
Contact the Brecon Beacons National Park education team on 01874 624437
Curriculum links (England and Wales):
Subject area(s): geography / history / art and design
ESD 1 (behaviours) application:
- Promoting (informed, skilled) behaviours and ways of thinking where the need for this is deemed important by the experts.
To practice art using reusable and renewable resources in a sustainable way.
ESD 2 (thinking critically) application:
- Building capacity to think critically about (and beyond) what experts say, and test out sustainable development ideas.
How we can learn sustainable techniques and practices from communities in the past.
Curriculum objectives: geography / history / art and design
- Describe, compare and contrast places and environments
- Communicate findings in a variety of ways
- Identify and describe what places are like
- Identify differences between ways of life at different times
- Use a variety of materials
- Select and record from observation, experience, memory