Volunteering in the National Parks
Many people get great enjoyment from our National Parks. If you want to 'put something back' or 'make a difference' why not get involved by volunteering alongside like-minded people of all ages and backgrounds?
Volunteers bring lots of enthusiasm, skills and interests. At the same time, they learn and discover new skills too. There's practical tasks like wall-building or hedge-laying. Some do wildlife surveys and conservation tasks, others are responsible for rights of way work and footpath maintenance. Volunteering can also mean leading walks for the public and helping visitors enjoy themselves.
Volunteering is a great way to gain a different experience of our National Parks and to contribute to something you care about.
If you have some time, no matter how smal, and the commitment to help us, follow the links below to find out more.
Conserve and share - the John Muir Award
If you want to put something back in to a wild place that you have discovered, and get recognised for your achievements try taking part in the John Muir Award. The Cairngorms, Dartmoor, Lake District, Peak District, Snowdonia and Yorkshire Dales National Parks all have award providers to help you discover, explore, conserve and share to gain your award.
A 'Tail' from Ian and Philippa, Exmoor volunteers:
"The construction of dormouse boxes might seem a bit daunting - you need sides with a sloping gable, a floor, a front, a back with a circular hole, spacer bars, drainage holes, a roof and a fastener.
So imagine our relief when we arrive to find all the pieces already cut to size! With some expert guidance we soon got the hang of it, whilst having an enjoyable (and amusing) time.
'We made about 20 bijou dormouse residences that morning. In the afternoon we walked up to Tarr Steps woods, with the National Park Ecologist and a Ranger, to fix the boxes to trees. They now await the arrival of their first residents!"
- Broads Authority - volunteering
- Brecon Beacons National Park - volunteering
- Dartmoor National Park - volunteering
- Exmoor National Park - volunteering
- Lake District National Park - volunteering
- Loch Lomond & The Trossachs National Park - volunteering
- New Forest National Park - volunteering
- Northumberland National Park - volunteering
- Northumberland National Park - Heritage At Risk volunteers
- North York Moors National Park - volunteering
- Peak District National Park - training as a volunteer ranger
- Peak District National Park - join the conservation volunteers
- Pembrokeshire Coast National Park - how to volunteer
- Snowdonia National Park - join the Snowdonia Society and volunteer
- Snowdonia National Park - join the conservation volunteers
- South Downs National Park - volunteering
- Yorkshire Dales National Park - volunteering
- The Conservation Volunteers (BTCV) - practical conservation volunteering and conservation holidays
- John Muir Award - environmental award scheme
- MuckIn4Life - promoting volunteering across England (good ideas for families and kids)
- National Trust - volunteering
- RSPB - volunteering
- The Wildlife Trusts - volunteering
- www.do-it.org.uk - UK database of volunteering in England, Scotland and Wales