How to get to the Norfolk Broads
Major rail stations:
- www.nationalexpress.com - half-hourly trains to Norwich from London Liverpool Street, average journey time 1 hour 50 minutes
- www.londonmidland.com - for services from the Midlands, the North of England and Scotland change at Peterborough for Norwich
Local rail stations:
Acle, Beccles, Berney Arms, Brundall, Brundall Gardens, Buckenham, Cantley, Great Yarmouth, Haddiscoe, Hoveton and Wroxham, Lingwood, Lowestoft, Norwich, Oulton Broad, Reedham, Salhouse, Somerleyton and Worstead.
Pre-book the train if you wish to take a bike with you.
- www.bitternline.com - for northern Broads and north Norfolk
- www.wherrylines.org.uk - for central and southern Broads, Great Yarmouth and Lowestoft
Bure Valley Railway
- Narrow gauge steam trains from Hoveton/Wroxham to Aylsham with wheelchair accessible carriages
Tel: 01263 733858
A cycle route and footpath has been constructed along the railway's entire length allowing cyclists and walkers of all abilities to enjoy the Norfolk countryside. Walk or cycle one way and take the train back for a day out with a difference.
- www.nationalexpress.com - daily services from all major cities to Norwich, and from Heathrow, Stansted and Gatwick airports.
Tel: 08705 808080
- www.travelineeastanglia.org.uk - Traveline East Anglia, for all local bus information
Tel: 0871 200 2233
- www.sustrans.org.uk/norfolk - National Cycle routes 1, 13 and 30
Fore more on bike hire centres in the broads, see:
- Broadland Cycle Hire and Ludham Bridge Stores
- Clippesby Hall
- Outney Meadow Caravan Park
- Riverside Tea Rooms and Stores
- Sea Palling Cycle Hire
- Waveney River Centre
There are 15 official walking routes in the region, from the nine-mile Bure Valley Path to the long-distance Weavers Way between Cromer and Great Yarmouth.
Norfolk walks include three long distance routes: the Angles' Way, the Weavers’ Way and the Wherryman’s Way, which also includes a cycle route
Boating is at the heart of the history and culture of the Broads. The Broads Authority's 'enjoy the broads' website has information on:
For information on boat trips, boating holidays, day boat hire, canoeing, rowing, sailing, boating lessons and information on bringing your own boat
Limited request stop service from Norwich to Whitlingham Country Park