How to get to Dartmoor
Major rail stations:
Exeter and Plymouth
Local rail stations:
Between Exeter and Plymouth there are stops at Newton Abbot, Ivybridge and Totnes. Bus services at these stops is limited, but all are a short taxi ride from Dartmoor, and some accommodation providers offer pick-ups.
Dartmoor railway operates a mixed diesel and steam service from Exeter to Okehampton on a Sunday and Bank Holidays and from Okehampton to Meldon at weekends. And the South Devon Railway operates between Totnes and Buckfastleigh, again with a mix of diesel and steam trains. Both also run special events that take place throughout the year.
National Express runs to Exeter, Totnes, Plymouth as well as Okehampton, Tavistock and Newton Abbot. From Plymouth there are buses to Tavistock, Yelverton and Princetown and from Exeter there are buses to Okehampton and Moretonhampstead – all good points to start a walk or bike ride.
- www.travelinesw.com - timetable information for all operators; First, Stagecoach, CountryBus, Dartline and Beaconbus.
Haytor Hoppa - a circular seasonal scenic bus route from Bovey Tracey. Stops include Haytor, Widecombe-In-The-Moor, Hound Tor and Manaton. Operates on Thursdays and Saturdays (from around Easter to the end of September)
Dartmoor Sunday Rover - summer service, one ticket offers travel from as far away as Dorset and Cornwall, £6.50 per adult / £16 family
- Devon County Council - Cycling - details of cycling in Devon, cycle hire, cycle friendly transport and accomodation
- Devon County Council - cycle hire - details of cycle hire shops and routes they are location on
- Sustrans Devon - details of National Cycle routes 2, 3, 27 and 33 which pass through Dartmoor.
- www.devon.gov.uk/tarkatrail - Tarka Trail, over 30 miles over old railway lines from Braunton to Meeth
- www.devon.gov.uk/the_granite_way - 11 mile cycle and walk route from Okehampton to Lydford
- Walking routes - details of the Two Moors Way, Dartmoor Way, Taw Teign Link, Templer Way, Two Castles Trail, and West Devon Way routes.
- Audio tours - download audio guides for walks in Bellever, Haytor, Postbridge and Princetown, all around 6 miles long.