How to get to the New Forest
Major rail stations:
Brockenhurst is the major access point for train travellers:
- www.southwesttrains.co.uk - from London Waterloo, Basingstoke, Winchester, Southampton, Bournemouth, Poole and Weymouth
- www.crosscountrytrains.co.uk - From Reading, Oxford, Birmingham and all points further north
- www.firstgreatwestern.co.uk - From Bristol and South Wales
Local rail stations:
Train stations within the National Park are: Ashurst, Beaulieu Road, Brockenhurst, Sway. Hinton Admiral, Lymington, New Milton and Totton are all close to the Park's boundaries.
Lymington to Brockenhurst Community Rail Partnership - local trains from Brockenhurst to Lymington
National Express - coaches stop at Ringwood in The New Forest.
Tel: 08705 808080
The New Forest Tour - This is an open-topped summer bus service providing a car-free way to get around the park. The bus can carry bikes and dogs. Included in the price of a ticket is a guide which details three possible cycle rides and walks from points along the bus route. Tickets available from the visitor information centres listed (see below).
For regular bus services in the area try the Blue Star or Wilts and Dorset bus companies
- National Cycle route 2 - takes in a section of the New Forest from Brockenhurst to Holmsley.
There are also more than 100 miles of way-marked cycle tracks across the forest including many off-road routes. They follow well-defined tracks, old railway lines and minor roads and the network is easily accessible from the railway stations at Ashurst, Brockenhurst and Sway.
- www.newforestnpa.gov.uk/visiting/cycle-hire - for details of bike hire shops around the National Park
- www.newforestnpa.gov.uk/visiting/walking - for walks in the woods, by the sea, over heath or by rivers and streams
- Walking routes in Hampshire - long distance, short walks, guided walks and dog walking
- Solent Way - a 60 mile coastal walk from Milford-on-Sea to Emsworth Harbour, through Lymington and Beaulieu
- Walking to Health Walks - at the Alice Holt Forest Centre every Thursday until end of November
- www.wightlink.co.uk - links the New Forest to the Isle of Wight
- www.hytheferry.co.uk - links the New Forest to trains, buses and coaches in Southampton